« Home | Reality is more exciting than fictionNOT!During my... » | The next big thingBut I've one question, I want so... » | Depeche does DublinIt was just a question of timeM... » | Blog Party PPKLTS"There is no gravity, the world j... » | COUNTY MAYO, GOD help us!!!Just returned from the ... » | Basic Instinct IIWhat's new pussycat?But you know ... » | Chock! Horror! Catastrophe!How to lose all sense o... » | Pissing off people at randomCourtesy of Bill Hicks... » | Out of touchSlow down, will ya'llI need a new set ... » | Da Mode rulesSongs 1-5 and 16-22Went to see Depech... »

Playing the athlete
Pain and suffering in various tempos

Due to the scorching weather these last days, I hadn't really been keeping up my running program. Last decent run was Wednesday week, with a stop at Daf's place (see the man off to holiday). Meanwhile I've been involved in an intense badmintonstruggle with my colleague Francois, to determine who's the best badmintonner in the office (it's me, off course, although last Friday he held me to a drawl, fair play to you, Swa)...

But this morning, I felt I had to make up for lost time. Weather being slightly overcast, even a slight drizzle: perfect conditions for a top performance. And so off we went.
The first half hour the feeling can best be described as: "Oh my God" (God not being the landlord from The Annexe Inn in Keel, but rather this Canadian bloke whom I saw at Cactusfestival yesterday- Rufus you still got it, bitch). My legs felt like they were gonna explode, I couldn't find my rhythm and my breathing was going crazy. I knew I shouldn't have had that yoghurt at breakfast.
The second half hour I kinda got into the groove: I wasn't going to give up, I had to do at least an hour. Legs were good, breathing was fine and I really went at it flat out for at least five kilometers. And then the last thirty minutes I felt like Lestat de Lioncourt: I knew I had died ages ago, but I never felt more alive. The world beside me had gone. It was only me, the sweat gushing from my back and my aching legs. Still running at 80% of my maximum heartrate, I picked up the pace even further. For the first time ever, I really felt like Declan...

For those of you who know Ghent: from the Rotonde, I ran along the Leie, under the King Albertbridge, passing the Europabridge, to the Blaarmeersen. One and a half tour around the lake, I left the Blaarmeersen along the Watersportbaan. I went back along the Leie, got under the bridge at the Charles De Kerckhovelaan. It took me to the Coupure, which I followed to the Rozemarijnbridge, where I turned to get back to the Leie. I followedd the Leie again to the Europabridge, where I crossed and ran back to the Rotonde... Must be about 20km, I guess. According to my heartrate meter I burned 1741 calories...

Now: kick back, relax, finish the Poe Shadow and go and see Crash in the Studioskoop...

Very nice my friend, very nice. And as one of your huge fans, i can only support you.
One minor but though. I guess that the "about 20k" would be more of a 16k. I don't know Ghent at all, but i'm just guessing.

And the Declan stand up is brilliant. After 4 k i got so tired i couldn't slow down :)

Post a Comment

The Squad

Is there anybody out there?

The book in my hand

Disc Located

April Fools

His masters voice

The Greenback

Flat Earth Society