« Home | Al Quaeda loses prime unit in failed suicide-attac... » | I dumped her! She kept stealing my fridgemagnets ... » | Meet my lass Granted, it took me a while, but I'v... » | I think I may have gone mad on the gymthingy I'm ... » | Dear John-letter Dear John, for years I've been... » | A bit of Oirish Coltior Off course there is loads... » | Adeste fidele, laeti triumphante Venite, venite I... » | Cosmic Conundrum: The universe seems uncannily we... » | Fury over JFK assassin game "AP - Cyberassassins ... » | New U2-album: the verdict mwaaaah »

Ahern calls on Blair to accelerate military reduction
Ian Paisleys remarks may jeopardize process

The Taoiseach, Mr Ahern, has personally urged the British Prime Minister, Mr Tony Blair, to speedily move on demilitarisation to enhance the prospects of Sinn Féin and the DUP signing off on a deal to restore devolution. Meanwhile, Ian Paisley seems determined not to back down.

Ahern made a number of phonecalls to Mr. Blair over recent days to impress upon him that rapid demilitarisation would be a major component in persuading republicans to endorse a deal to restore devolution, according to well-placed sources. The Taoiseach took the initiative because of a Sinn Féin concern that in the initial stages of the potential deal on offer republicans would be seen to be making the concessions and the DUP the political gains, sources said.

"The IRA needs to be humiliated," Ian Paisley said in the DUP heartland of Ballymena on Saturday where a BBC team filmed his speech which was broadcast last night. "And they need to wear their sackcloth and ashes, not in a backroom but openly. And we have no apology to make for the stand we are taking," added Dr Paisley. "I say look at the heartache the IRA has brought to the countless homes across the province. The pride of republicans cannot be allowed to prevent progress any longer."

The British and Irish governments last night refused to comment on Dr Paisley's remarks. A Sinn Féin spokesman said that it was obvious that Dr Paisley's comments "were not helpful". He refused to say whether they would seriously undermine the efforts to secure a political deal. "I don't think you would need to be a republican activist to know how republicans would react."

Spokespersons for the Taoiseach and British Prime Minister said it was a matter for Dr Paisley to explain his remarks. This will cause concern however, notwithstanding the fact that Dr Paisley was pitching his comments to a hardline audience, and that frequently ahead of historic compromise leaders make apparently uncompromising speeches to their political base.

Mr Ahern, in a speech in Trinity College Dublin recently, emphasised that seeking to "humiliate" republicans would damage the efforts to strike a deal.

Last week the Sinn Féin president, Mr Gerry Adams, admonished the DUP deputy leader Mr Peter Robinson for a reference to republican "gangsters". Mr Adams said if the DUP was serious about a deal it should at least try to be civil and temperate in its choice of language.
Yesterday's symbolically significant first official meeting between the PSNI chief constable, Mr Hugh Orde, and Mr Adams in Downing Street to discuss demilitarisation was organised by Mr Blair at the request of the Taoiseach, it is understood. Mr Adams said afterwards that demilitarisation, in republican heartlands particularly, was essential. Mr Ahern and Mr Blair will hear today the Sinn Féin and DUP responses to the governments' blueprint for restoring the Northern Executive and Assembly. A Sinn Féin delegation led by Mr Adams will meet Mr Blair in Downing Street either tomorrow or on Thursday.


Hey nice to read what you have to say. I am out searching for information plastic surgery in pic and stumbled across your page. My wife is thinking about going under the knife and I am trying to find out as much information as I can. Anyway Blogger the this post of your page caught my interest and I thought I would stop by to see if you had any information on plastic surgery in pic. Hey, great page and thanks for the read.

Hey nice to read what you have to say. I am out searching for information plastic surgery in pic and stumbled across your page. My wife is thinking about going under the knife and I am trying to find out as much information as I can. Anyway Blogger the this post of your page caught my interest and I thought I would stop by to see if you had any information on plastic surgery in pic. Hey, great page and thanks for the read.

Hi Blogger my mother at age 60 is thinking about getting a procedure done and I am out trying to find all the information I can on plastic surgery in pic it’s been tough to come buy. I should say tough to come by really good information. I was doing a search and saw your this post and just wanted to read what you had to say or if you had any information on plastic surgery in pic. I really enjoyed your page Blogger

Hi Blogger my mother at age 60 is thinking about getting a procedure done and I am out trying to find all the information I can on plastic surgery in philadelphia it’s been tough to come buy. I should say tough to come by really good information. I was doing a search and saw your this post and just wanted to read what you had to say or if you had any information on plastic surgery in philadelphia. I really enjoyed your page Blogger

Post a Comment

The Squad

Is there anybody out there?

The book in my hand

Disc Located

April Fools

His masters voice

The Greenback

Flat Earth Society