« Home | Musings for the (X)-Masses Exactly one year ago I... » | Bush urging Ottawa to join Star Wars program Feren... » | Indian and Belgian parliament to install defibrill... » | Urine may lead to collapse of major bridge in Suma... » | Ahern calls on Blair to accelerate military reduct... » | Al Quaeda loses prime unit in failed suicide-attac... » | I dumped her! She kept stealing my fridgemagnets ... » | Meet my lass Granted, it took me a while, but I'v... » | I think I may have gone mad on the gymthingy I'm ... » | Dear John-letter Dear John, for years I've been... »

The winter of my discontent

So, the day after no tomorrow, hey...

You probably think I woke up amongst the creatures of the night in some back alley of this fair city after my drinking debauchery last night.

Not so.

During these dark days in Dublin I've devised different demarches to drown the dreaded doom and dark deadlock of depressional despair. Mostly, people listen to their favorite music. I do to, but since I've recently rediscovered the genius of Depress Mode, I listen to music, but not tonight...

When I'm depressed I eat or buy. So yesterday I spent about 20euro at Eddie Rockets, before heading for the HMV in Grafton Street.

After considerable debate, I settled on three comedy DVD's:

First of all the unfathomable genius Dark Klingon Lord Bill Bailey, with his Part Troll-DVD...
From Hillbilly Zeppelin, Drum 'n Bush over "Ein, zwei, drei mahl eine Dame" to the belly-ripping Krafwerk-tribute: there is just no funnier, more talented man that walks the face of this earth.

Number two was Billy Connolly live in Dublin. This comedy-legend is probably more vulgar and shocking than Bailey, but is whee lih'l accent just captures you from the start, doesn't it. His energy on stage is just fabulous.

Number three was a new name I discovered: Tommy Tiernan, Cracked, Live at Vicar Street. This Galwayman performing in one of my favorite Dublin venues was a revelation. Unfortunately his current tour is absolutely sold out, so the DVD will have to do.

To these three masters you may add Dylan Moran, the star from Black Books, a DVD I bought a couple of weeks ago. I used him as opening act.

A topnight of comedy, no sore head (my abs are, though) and gone all the depressing thoughts!

Joy to the world, the Lord has come!
(I always knew this Marie Magdalene was a bit of a slapper)

PS : Love Song - Bill Bailey

I was alone, my heart was cold, it was a stone, my soul was lonely, like a stone, there was no moss. And when I danced I danced alone, but then I did not dance because I was alone, so I did not dance. I shuffled through life invisible to all happy couples who would mock me with their merry laughter, hahaha. The only sound I heard in my silent and lonely world was the rusty hammer of my heart nailing at the hatred in my soul.

But then you came and my life was turned upside down. You showed me the beauty of things I had never seen like a snowflake that melts on the eyelid of a startled deer or the painting of a dog that wares a waistcoat and smokes a pipe that makes you laugh heartedly, but I previously thought was rubbish. Or the duck that lands so clumsily on a frozen pond in winter but the intoxicating power of our love transforms this simple act into an anthropomorphic drama where Mr. Duck is embarrassed and the other ducks are laughing (Kwek kwek kwek)

AND THEN YOU LEFT, AND I HAVE DIED A THOUSAND DEATHS AND I WILL DIE A THOUSAND MORE. I THOUGHT YOU WERE AN ANGEL, YOU TURNED OUT TO BE A WHORE. AND EVERYTHING HAS TURNED INTO DUST, EVERYTHING INFESTED BY THE PLAGUE. WELL, YOU HAD TO SLEEP WITH CRAIG. OOH, HE'S SO SENSITIVE, HE'S GOT A TATTOO. YEAH, CARVING YOUR NAME WITH A COMPASS IN MY FOREHEAD WAS NOT ENOUGH FOR YOU.
THE SNOWFLAKE ON THE EYE OF THE DEER HAS TURNED INTO PUSS THAT OOZES FROM AN OPEN WOUND, THE DEER, NOW BLINDED, STUMBLES INTO A RAVINE. THE DUCK LIES SHREDDED IN A PANCAKE SOAKING IN THE HOISTING OF YOUR LIES. THE DOG HAS MOVED FROM THE PIPE TO 60 CIGARETTES A DAY AND COUGHS AWAY HIS LIFE IN THE COLD NEON RESEARCHLAB OF YOUR BETRAYAL, YOUR BETRAYAL, OF YOUR BETRAYAL...

Now, if that doesn't get your spirits up, I don't know what does!




The Squad

Is there anybody out there?

The book in my hand

Disc Located

April Fools

His masters voice

The Greenback

Flat Earth Society